The Utopia Project

Utopia Project: The Search for Hope


In a world where everyone is expected to find their hope, what happens when the world takes it away?

The Dystopian World:

        Welcome to my journey of finding "hope". I find it ironic because the word "hope" hasn't fit in my vocabulary for such a long time that it's completely lost its meaning. Before telling this story, a warning is needed as this is not the world that you're thinking of. On my Earth, also known as Earth-5627, the battle of Korea has been initiated once again. The first signs of battle arose in the early month of June when a message went global that North Korea had begun to test out a missile. It wasn't out of the ordinary that North Korea would create and test missiles every now and then, but what spiked the tension in the air was that this specific missile was said to be extremely destructive at a short range. Just enough range to take out every major city in South Korea. The first explosion happened on June 25th, 2567 with an impact that shook the world. In one moment, millions of people died or were forced into underground areas made for these types of attacks. Everything was built as a procedure but no one expected it to become a reality. This event was about 1 year ago. During this past year, the air around the entirety of Korea has grown so radioactive that no one can survive the outside air for more than a minute without some sort of protective gear. Multiple countries have indeed attempted to intervene and stop this war, but the level has become so big that not even major countries such as the United States can stop this war. The only way to survive is to run. There is no saving my country now. All hope is lost.














Image Source:

- Map of nuclear radiation caused by nuclear testing around North Korea (Radiation leads to toxic air)


Hope:

        Amid what seemed like a toxic future, a group known as "Hope" was created. This group consisted of five members who took charge of saving the remaining people in South Korea and escaping to wherever refuge they could find. Their job was not only to find and rescue the trapped people but first, make sure they could make it out alive as well. The group would scavenge cities, gather materials and people, and give them a time and a place to escape. This, however, meant that these teens only had a limited number of days to find people before they had to leave with their gathered group, leaving everyone else behind. They all realized that there was no saving Korea and they had to find refuge in another country, even if that meant hiding out for the rest of their lives. The process of finding people wouldn't be easy as many bunkers are extremely hidden in case enemies come, trying to take out the remainder of the survivors. This also meant that the group had to be aware of where they were because they wouldn't know who was on their side and who was the enemy until it was too late. All the group could do was hope.










Image Source:

Radiation bursts due to testing in North Korea (Raising concerns for people who escape from nearby)


Video: Future Wars: Could There Be Another Korean War?

- This video looks into the history, current situation, and whether future wars may occur.


Journal Entries:

Diary Entry from Leif Carlson, 6/30/2568

If you're finding this journal, that means that I didn't make it out. I hope your fate is different. The group and I have been searching for people for what feels like weeks now. I know that there isn't much time left before we leave the country, but we must try to find more people. The future of our country is in the hands of a couple teenagers who a year ago, had their worst worries about getting into college. I still laugh about how easy life truly was compared to now and wish every day that I was preparing to take the final exam. What I can only hope for now is that there is someone out there who can help all these people who need help. "If nothing else, it's pleasant to consider the possibility." (Mandel 333) I know, however, that I cannot help people with a simple "possibility". I must keep moving on and hope. Goodbye, and I hope you never have to read this entry.

Signing off, Leif


Diary Entry from Diya Kayaleh, 1/1/2569


I found this journal from a nearby abandoned hospital in Seoul. This probably means that whoever Leif is or was never made it out. I am all alone and scared, and I haven't seen a single person in weeks. The air is too toxic to walk through but it's getting more toxic by the day so I cannot linger. I must find a way out. I am going through the journal entries and seeing that multiple people before me have tried and failed to escape. Before, it was the war that stopped the world. Now, it's the air. "Whatever became of the countries on the other side?" (Mandel 333) I haven't seen another country much less a local person. Either they all managed to escape without me, or they were hiding underground. Of course, they can all be dead. Maybe I'm the only one alive in this awful country. Maybe there was never any hope to begin with. To whoever finds this journal again, I wish you luck. 

Signing off, Diya








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RTWL: Day 0 (My Introduction)

RTWL: Day 1